Sunday, June 28, 2009

Seafood Makan - No Signboard

We went to No Signboard @ Geylang on a hot sunday afternoon. Still ok because we sit in the air conditioned area. 5pax and we ordered a 4pax seafood menu (i think its $239 or $229) that consists of...

2 crabs (all for chilli crabs) of abt 2kg+
1 lobster cold combination (small)
1 brocooli flowers with scallops (small)
1 shark fins soup with crab meat
1 drunkard prawns (small)

Crabs at this time is $40kg and the drunkard prawns has few sizes (S,M,L) and the package includes the small one which is abt $30.





Cold Dish Platter (something like this)....... I find it so-so. 6/10



Broccoli Flowers and scallops.... looks pathetic with such small portion. 7.5/10

Shark Fins with Crab Meat. I didnt eat this because I cannot eat crabs... but review is that its too starchy.

Drunkard Prawns with ginseng. This is the best and my favourite! 9.5/10
Standard drops for this bamboo clams. Its expensive, and then, they never clean it well!!! There's sand inside almost all of the 3 I ate. Very bad!!!! And because we are at airconditioned area, this will turn hard faster than expected. 6/10

Chilli Crabs! Didnt get to eat this.


Deep fried buns. The buns are nice. Sweet and goes best with Crab meat sauce.


Overall, I think its better to order ala carte than the set because 1-The shark fins soup doesnt look promising, 2-lobster cold combination is just so so. Not that value for $? I asked the waitress abt the weight etc of the crabs because I prefer to know how heavy it is. I feel that its better than just eating without really knowing what goes behind the charge/menu issues. If I order crabs for 2pax or next time 4pax, at least I know it should be around $1kg+ for 2pax, 2kg+ 4pax... will be sufficient if there's other side dishes.

Drunkard prawns is nice. But with ginseng in it, it may taste bitter or too bitter for those that dislike bitter taste. For me, I find it light (not oily) and just right. Prawns are fresh too. Ala carte small size prawns is $30.

As for the crabs, she only quoted 2kg+ for the one we have........ so lets say its 2.5kg and its around $100 .......... WOW expensive. hehehehe seafood is expensive in SG.

Btw, we also ordered garlic bamboo clams..... its priced at $9 per clam and thats pretty expensive because there isnt much 'meat'. This time round, the bamboo clams are just so so. Thats because when it turns cold, the meat start to harden. Another thing is, there's "soil" in 2 of them that I have tried. ZZZZZZZzzzz LOUSY. because u just puke them out instead of eating the meat + soil in right?? waste $$$. 4 Clams costed $36. If you are on a budget, skipped this or just order 1 or 2. The $ is better spent on the Crabs.

Anyway ,the crabs are for 5pax I supposed... I didnt eat but there's extra to be tar bao back home.

Price of the drinks are acceptable too. Varies from $0.30 (plain water!), chinese tea $0.70 (the tea bag style) and their home made drinks etc. Should be good. Home made drinks are served in rather big glasses.

Overall with all the peanuts, towels, service charges etc all calculated in, the price is about $300 for 5pax.......... I guess 'seafood' prices are around there. I only know that Esplanade/Vivo City is more expensive.... Bamboo Clams is $12 (so the amt get multiply after you x the no. of pcs). Crabs is 40+ but no idea of the exact charge

Btw, I realised that its important to choose yr own crabs/fishes etc. I saw fishes with some problems on their mouth area ...... so imagine u just sit at yr table and tell them give me XX fish... n you never go n see them choosing the fishes...... u might end up eating the less healthy fish.

And for crabs, I guess u need to ensure the crabs are still alive and maybe 'kicking' so that they are fresh. Crabs are very dirty and "posionous" foods. Once they are killed, they need to be cooked immediately to kill all the germs and bacteria? So yea, choose yr crabs sound wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment